Cannabis is also known as marijuana.It is a psychoactive drug from the cannabis plant used primarily for medicinal or recreational purposes.It is prohibited in some countries such as Kenya and legal in other countries such as the United States. It is sometimes used for organic shroom treatments under guidelines of the doctors. The main component of cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol(THC).There are various ways of taking cannabis which include smoking,vaporizing,mixing with food and eating it and using as an extract.There are effects brought about by use of cannabis.The onset of effects are within minutes when smoked and 30-60 minutes when cooked and eaten.The effects lasts for two to six hours depending on the amount of cannabis used.
The effects of cannabis use can be categorized into short term and long term effects.
Short term effects of cannabis use in adults
- Anxiety-the user is nervous with fear of being watched or followed.
- Hallucinations-they always have the wrong impression or perceive things that are actually not true or present.Also termed as having delusions.
- Nausea-this is a feeling of sickness with inclination to vomit.
- Panic-they have a sudden uncontrollable fear often causing violently unthinking behaviour.
- Paranoia-this is well explained as delusions of persecution.They also possess insecurities within themselves.
- Euphoria-users of cannabis have an intense feeling of happiness and excitement.
- Psychosis-this entails abnormal thinking and perceptions whereby people who use cannabis lose touch with reality.
- Increased heart rate-users have a risk of heart attack.
- Less concentration span-their attention is mostly shifted to other things.
- Increase in appetite-upon use of cannabis,most users always have increased appetite.
- Loss of sense of personal identity
- Lowered reaction time
- problems with coordination and impaired body movement.
- Increased risk of accidents-most accidents that have occured have been caused by users of cannabis whereby they are tested and test positive of tetrahydrocannabinol chemical.
- Other short term side effects of cannabis include dry mouth and red eyes.
Long term effects of cannabis use in adults
- Addiction-users always have a physiological need for use of cannabis.Without cannabis,they always feel disturbed and unsettled.
- Decreased mental ability-adult users of cannabis develop impaired short-term memory.They have an altered sense of time and state of mind.They have impaired thinking and inability to learn and perform complex tasks.
- Chronic coughing-adult users of cannabis develop a cough which lasts longer than 8 weeks.
- Susceptibility to respiratory infections-users have a high risk of contracting respiratory infections because mostly it is taken by smoking.
- Bronchodilation-the bronchial air passages expand due to frequent smoking of cannabis.
- Mothers who use cannabis during pregnancies always endanger the lives of their unborn children.The children are born with depression,hyperactivity and inattention.
- Relationship problems including intimate partner violence.
- Antisocial behaviour including stealing and lying.
- Unemployment-most users encounter challenges in finding jobs while others are fired from their jobs due to the drug use.
In conclusion,use of cannabis has effects which mostly are negative,endangering the lives of citizens.For the growth of the country,use of cannabis should be avoided.This is also for healthier and longer lives.Mothers are also advised to avoid use of cannabis for the health of their children.Cannabis is a worldwide used drug which needs precautions before use.